This is by far the most adorable — and EASIEST!! — craft I’ve ever created for Holiday Hints. ANYONE CAN DO THIS!! It takes less than 30 minutes and less than $5 in new materials (see the price check below).
People always ask me how I come up with my craft ideas, and honestly I don’t know. This project literally just came to me months ago and I jotted it down. These super easy wall plaques will add a bit of whimsy to your Halloween décor this year. They’re perfect for a bathroom, a child’s room or any small space that could use a splash of color.
- 3 5×5 inch unfinished wooden plaques
- Foam stickers – your choice
- Acrylic craft paint – 3 colors of your choice plus black
- Paint brushes
- Letter stamps and ink
1. Lightly sand each wooden plaque. Technically, they are supposed to paint-ready but I find that little burrs pop up in the wood if I go right to painting. (Keep a fine-grit sanding sponge in your tool kit; they’re just a couple dollars at a hardware store.) Wipe off any dust with a damp paper towel.
2. Paint each plaque in a color of your choice. For this I used lime, orange and light purple. Apply two coats, allowing to dry in between coats.
3. If you like, use a dry brush or a toothbrush to flick black acrylic paint and a contrasting color on each plaque. Allow to dry.
4. Apply a foam sticker to the upper center of each plaque.
5. Using letter stamps, stencils or freehand, write the word that corresponds to the image on each plaque.
6. To hang, use Command hanging strips (little hook-and-loop tabs that lock together), apply a small saw tooth picture hanger to the back or drill a small hole to accommodate a brad nail.
Total time: Less than 30 minutes, plus a few minutes for drying time.
Price check: 99 cents for each plaque; $1.49 for a packet of foam stickers (all at Michaels craft store). I had the paint, brushes and letter stamps on hand already.